The Ventilation Requirements According to Healthy Homes Standard
If the kitchen rangehood was installed after July 1 2019, all exhaust ducting must have a diameter of at least 150mm or an exhaust capacity of at least 50 litres/second. If the kitchen rangehood was installed before July 1 2019, this can remain as long as it is in good working condition and ventilates to outside the dwelling.
Bathroom Extractor Fan
If the bathroom fan was installed after July 1 2019, all exhaust ducting must have a diameter of at least 120mm or an exhaust capacity of at least 25 litres/second. If the extractor fan in the bathroom was installed before July 1 2019, this could remain as long as it is in good working condition and ventilates to outside the dwelling.
There must be openable windows or doors in each habitable space. The windows or doors must comprise at least 5% of the floor area of that space.
Are there any exemptions?
A habitable space does not need openable windows, skylights or doors if the house was built before the 1947 Housing Improvement Regulations came into law. Before this it was lawful to have certain habitable rooms without windows. E.g. Bedrooms
Bathrooms or kitchens don't need extractors fans if all three of these conditions apply:
1. It is not reasonably practicable to install an extractor fan
2. When the room was built or converted into a kitchen or bathroom not having a extractor fan was lawful
3. The room meets other ventilation requirements. E.g. has openable window(s).
What is a habitable space?
A habitable space is a domestic living space excluding any bathroom, laundry, toilet, pantry, walk-in wardrobe, corridor, hallway, lobby, clothes-drying room, or other space of a specialised nature occupied neither frequently nor for extended periods.
Deadlines for compliance of HHGA
- All private rental properties must comply within 90 days of any new or renewed tenancy after 01/07/2021.
- Otherwise all private rental properties must comply by 01/07/2024.
- Housing New Zealand and other Government Housing Providers have until 01/07/2023 to achieve compliance.